Wednesday 25 November 2009

Practice Silktown Macclesfield

After last nights thrashing I was glad when Wayne Holbrook rang me and asked if I was free for a couple of hours in the afternoon 2-4. We played over at Silktown and had an enjoyable session, I played quite well again so last night was nothing to do with my game Mathew was just too bloody good for me.

Wayne had had a coaching session with Peter Shelley the day before so I was a little worried he may have picked up some devastating shots. I played very well straight from the start with a 17 and a couple of 20's and ran away to an early lead of around 100 points. This was strange as last time Wayne did the exact same thing to me.

I played some really nice billiards my game seems to have changed a little lately I realise I am concentrating on drop cannons and close cannons a little more with some nice in-offs around the pink spot and trying to play less red ball play than I used to do. This seems to have been a natural thing rather than something I planned but it seems to be working quite well.

I knocked in a nice little 38 break where his ball was tight on the cushion below the middle bag and I worked both balls out into open play by some in-offs and a couple of drop cannons. I missed a very simple half ball cross loser from the red spot on the 3-6-9 shot. Which would have been a simple 50 break where the white was over the bag just a little careless really.

I followed the break with a 33 a few shots later again missing a fairly simple loser. I won by about 70 points in the end. Wayne again started out potting and missed quite a few which stopped him scoring. Once he started to play some in-offs and cannons he began to get going. Next time we must practice a few more shots.

I was quite happy with the way I played against Mark last time and against Wayne regular high 30 breaks are fine by me especially when I seem to have moved on from regular 25 breaks. I am sure if I keep going it will be regular 50's soon. I must admit the only way to progress in this game is to keep control, once you get the balls in those easy scoring positions breaks seem to happen without trying.

I have really avoided potting at all cost lately trying to only get a pot when I have used a cannon to push the balls near the pocket, this means that it's usually a very short distance pot rather than a dangerous long pot. this seems to have worked wonders for my game. I hate to say it but I really am beginning to see what this game is all about and visualise patterns of regular play. My inoffs have really improved lately all the practice seems to be working.

No comments:

Post a Comment