Wednesday 11 November 2009

Huddersfield League - New Mill V Springwood BC 'A'

Quite looking forward to this game as they have a couple of really good players on their team.
Tony Clegg who plays in some of the ABC and English Am competitions. He is a very good player with a lovely touch and Rob Armitage who I saw play in the ABC at Leeds.

The trip over was a bit slow the Woodhead was covered in thick fog / low mist managed to get their on time and Mark Carrington decided to come and watch.

The first game was just starting which we won John Bowden played quite well for us.

I had drawn Rob and was getting a massive start he is on -95 I am on 85. I was a little worried as I am not playing that well and I had seen his list of massive breaks. I broke off and the game was a little scrappy. I played safe but he managed to pot the red down the rail and got 68 off it. He is clearly a snooker player rather than a billiards player but he combines the two quite well. he reminds me of Geoff Brassington in his style although I think Geoff is the better billiards player.

I had a couple of visits and tried to leave him safe I only scored about 30 points in 10 visits. he had a couple of 30's and then knocked in a 58.

I managed a few points but he was catching me rapidly and having all the luck with several flukes around the table. He ended up 15 points behind with me needing 65. I decided to change tactics and just played safe. He started to go for a few shots and I still played safe unless a ball was over the bag. Suddenly he left me at the top and I managed 15 points and played safe leaving my ball and his on opposite cushions.

The game went tactical and he realised I had change my game. I potted his ball a couple of times and tried to leave a double baulk. He missed an easy pot and left me nothing. I smashed his ball down the rail and somehow screwed back half way up the table (not intended) but left a tough red. I went for it and both balls ended in baulk. He missed and left me on in baulk and I scored 20 all cannons. I played a long loser and missed but fluked the red in the middle. The tide had changed and I ran in 21 to leave me one point short I played safe and left a double baulk he missed giving me the game.

I was quite happy I had beaten him over the last 80 points he had hardly scored anything but without the start I would have been overwhelmed.

Peter Akinson went on last and lost but we had maintained our unbeaten record. I had also drawn Robert in the handicapped cup so the game counted double as he had agreed to treat the league match as the cup game. So I am also through in the cup. Double delight for me.

Still a nice night however a little spoiled by Robert who had a silly argument with one of our players rather unsporting maybe he was upset at losing but its the first time I have seen any billiards player have a fall out it's usually so friendly.

No comments:

Post a Comment