Thursday 2 April 2009

Practice Practice Practice

Went for a quick hours practice and have been thinking long and hard about my game. I seem to be very strong at the middle loser and am quite happy with cross losers. I do struggle with certain shots with lots of top although my grip is better now.
I have decided today to concentrate on middle losers. Several books and articles on the internet suggest this is one method of scoring that offers fairly a simple shot with high rewards if you can keep getting good position. My mid table cannons are fair so I would attempt to score breaks around these basic shots.

I placed yellow and white as middle losers and attempt to score as many as possible before having to resort to another shot. Managed 9 then had a half ball in the bottom to resume position. Pushed the red over the middle and potted it as a six shot.

Got another cannon off the white and then in off the red, red back for a loser from the D. (26). The game does seem to be getting easier, I just had to realise my limitations and play to my strengths.

I can definitely score regular 15+ breaks from this position with little effort so I am going to forget all the other stuff and concentrate the next few weeks to this style of play. The beauty of this is that it favours my snooker grip. Although I felt very relaxed and loose with the cue today.

I spent some time watching videos on YouTube and Martins site of the older players most of then play quite upright with only forefinger and thumb gripping the cue. Joe Davis has a more definite snooker stance but in an interview states he has to change his grip for a lighter swing for billiards. Definitely need to stick with my new relaxed grip for snooker as well.

If I can get 18 hours practice over the next three weeks I will be happy, I am looking forward to Norfolk now as I feel my progress is fine so far to ensure I don’t disgrace myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment