Thursday 23 April 2009

Photo

Just checked the EBOS website. Horror!.

They have a picture of my getting my Billiards certificate from Paul Dunning. In a way its a little embarrasing to be the first to get the award but another part of me is quite proud.

I am going to stick with Billiards for 12 months and see how I can progress with the game. The thing that really sticks out in my mind is the totally different attitude anyone who plays the game has to snooker and the sport in general. I am really sticking my nose in trying to get as much information as possible about the rules, how to play, shots, videos, books. I am trying to immerse myself in the game as much as possible. Everyone I have met or spoken with has been kind considerate and totally passionate about this sport. They all want to share and help each other.

You never see that in the cut throat world of other sports where winning is everything. In Billiards it is the appreciation of the sport that counts. A player is happy for another player when they play a good shot or get a nice break. Everyplayer is aiming to improve and watching and playing is the only way. Dont get me wrong they still want to win but they do it with such grace.

Paul Dunning said something to me that really stuck in my mind. He is a truly great player but he said he was recently watching a couple of very poor players having game in his local club when one of them played a scoring shot that he had never seen or attempted himself. He then made a note of the shot ready to use it in his own game.

It is this that makes the sport so interesting, there is always another shot to learn or practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment