Tuesday 21 April 2009

Basic Billards Exam

Off to Chester, I am meeting Paul Dunning at Waverton Village Hall at 2.30 for a little coaching. Rather looking forward to this but worried he will think my standard poor. I watched him play on the Internet he is a truly great player. He plays with a different style to Martin he seems to play an all round game rather than fighting for the top of the table position.

I called in Barrow church on the way over to see my grandfather grave. Lovely sunny day and met Barry Secrete a lad we used to know when my granddad was alive he lives in Wrexham and was only luck he happened to be there today.

Found the Institute at Waverton, lovely old Church Hall with two very nice tables. Paul is a nice chap and explains we are going to work through the exam syllabus to see if I can pass the Basic Billiards Exam. I am not really ready for this as I have only managed to practice some of the tests on Martins site. Still he explained what we had to do.

I didn’t perform very well; my middle pocket losers were poor in the warm up. Still it’s on a strange table with a thick cloth. I still didn’t play as well as I can in practice and on the last exercise I needed to make at least 26 in two visits break to pass the 150 mark. I just scrapped through with 24 and needed to make a drop cannon with my last shot. I felt drained, after that and we had a quick 100 up Paul giving me 50 start.

I watch Paul play scoring 34 and 28 in two visits, I scored 13 he then ran in 29 and was unfinished on 21 when the light ran out. He scored so quickly and played some shots I have never seen before. He really has a nice style and choice of shots. Quite different from the other lads who’s sole aim is to get to the top, which can lead to a rather boring game, Paul seems quite happy to score from any position in particular his narrow canons were awesome. He never seems to miss them, just a thin glancing canon but leaving nice position every time.

Overall I am quite happy Paul commented on my cue action, he has reassured me that any snooker player struggles with the grip and style for billiards where top and run through are very exaggerated and required for many shots. He would rather coach someone from scratch who had never played snooker. Then let then play snooker once they had mastered billiards.

Presented with a nice certificate showing my achievement.

No comments:

Post a Comment