Wednesday 25 July 2012

Coaching Session 5

Had a practice with Tony Cook over in Chester and saw Harry Wah. He seems in good health. I played quite well but was playing with my spare cue. I was quite happy got a couple of 30's. On the Tuesday went to Johns for another session we played with the 360 cue and I did very well I hardly miscued and we carried on with revising my grip and follow through. I played OK in our match and I am finally beginning to feel the shots.

This concept of feel is quite hard to describe but it is the sensation of the cue in the hand when it strikes the ball. As I am trying not to grip the cue at all how can I 'feel' the shot. Well after gripping the cue with an iron grip for so many years its hard to describe it. You will just have to experience it for yourself. I am getting quite excited about the new season this work really is beginning to pay off with my cue control and potting improving every game now. I am reverting less and less to my old habits.

I went for a game in Rochdale against Mike one of the league players. He is an average player who hits the ball hard which is a shame as he can actually play a decent game if he lets himself. Having played him before I absolutely took him to the cleaners. In a league match I would have to give him 30 points but every game I was taking him by 50-80 points in 125 up. I'm on -25. This is the first time I have really got my cue action into gear whilst playing a match and the difference is staggering. I was playing run through shots along the rail which seemed really easy. I got several long and short jennys and got to the top of the table loads of times and scored really consistently.

My high break was only 28 or 29, but I was scoring 20 virtually every visit. In one game I ran the 125 in 6 visits which for me was brilliant. I looked back at the games which were only practice but I can finally see the  advantages of the follow through to my game. I need lots more practice and I have a long way to go but I feel my game has taken another bit leap here. My drop cannons were superb and I played some great thin shots which I had been practicing. Overall a great night. I need to work on my drag shots next.

I had to miss my session with John this week due to other commitments but hopefully when he gets back off his holidays we can carry on.

No comments:

Post a Comment