Monday 11 May 2009

Police Competition 5th-8th May 2009

The big day has arrived, off to Potters Holiday resort Norfolk. The place has really improved since the last time I was here in 1995.

There is a new hotel and restaurant on site and the chalets have all been done up very nice. I meet a few people I know who are still in the police. Brian Sweeny and Tony Crompton.

Also met Tony McKevitt a Cheshire bobby who I joined with and shared a room for 14 weeks during our basic training.

Off to Pot Black Club to play the retired Billiards. It is played on a round robin with 2 groups of 6 as BT and Northern Ireland failed to provide any players this year. Geoff Mayor is the holder having won for the last 5 years. I am rather unlucky with the draw as I managed to be in the same draw as the holder and last runner up from last year. The other group only having 5 players as another one failed to turn up.

Never mind it's random, but it would have been nice to be in the other group. My first game was against Jim Malcolm from strathclyde. He beat me 210-196 with me unfinished on 8. Rather disappointed as I felt I played really well.

My next match was against Derrick Hey from West Yorkshire. He absolutely thrashed me. He ran in 48, 42, 31,31, 38. Final score 152-290.

Next match was against David Keels from Essex. I ran away with the game getting a few 20 and 30 breaks. 191-80 to me.

My next match was against Gareth Wakefield last years runner up. He was clearly a really good player as I had refereed one of his matches. I started with a 25 and quickly followed it with a 43, which is my highest match break so far beating my 39 in Newmarket. However he started to claw back and eventually beat me by 3 points. Still I was very happy I scored 241 and he got 244.

My last match was against the holder Geoff Mayor. He was outstanding running is 79, 58 and 49 along with several 20-30 breaks. He never left me much to go at. I did manage to reach the 100 mark but it was a hopeless game for me. His ball control was fantastic he played every shot half ball and just seems to be able to push the balls over the middle bag at will. The half ball loser and start again. I spoke with him he did no play much not being in a league but he learnt the game when he was in the North East. 348-110.

Lost 4-1 in the group, but my result did have an impact of the table as Gareth only beating me by 3 meant he lost on count back and did not qualify for the first time in several years. Overall the standard was high with breaks of 92,79, 72, 71,68, 58 and several 40's being recorded.

The other group was weaker the highest break being 47. Geoff went on to win in the final by a massive margin. In the none retired Billiards it was Bob Patterson against Mick Stocks in the final. Mick started of well knocking in an 80 and a 90. Bob held his own and clawed back but just go pipped at the end if it had gone on a little longer he would have won. The standard in the full billiards was really high. I really am going to have to improve for next year to stand a chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment